Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: How do I make an appointment for a tourist (non-resident) visa to visit the United States?

• Make an appointment through the online NIV appointment system and then complete and submit the DS-160 online application form.

Q2: What should I bring to my appointment at the Embassy?

• Go to Documentation to find information needed for the interview.  The Consular Section is unable to accept supporting documents in advance of the interview. Please do not fax or email documents unless specifically asked to do so by a consular staff member.

Q3: What if there is an emergency and I need a visa immediately?

•  Emergency refers to an extreme situation such as travel for emergency medical treatment or to accompany a person going for this reason, to attend a funeral, etc.  Failure to schedule an appointment in advance is not an emergency.  If you believe your case is urgent, please click here to read the information regarding emergency appointments.

Q4: What do I do if I find out I can’t make it to my visa appointment once it’s made?

• First cancel your previous appointment in the online system and then make another appointment.

Q5: If I don’t have internet access, where can I complete and submit my application?                               

Applicants may use a commercial service to complete the DS-160 form, upload their photo and submit their application electronically.  KIOSKE Digital at Praça da Paz, Loja 1 (near Shoprite) in Maputo can take your photo, upload it and provides internet access to complete and submit your application and to print the confirmation page.

Q6: How long should I plan to be at the Embassy? How long does the entire process take from beginning to end?                                                          

• Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. On average, applicants should be prepared to be at the Embassy from 1 to 3 hours.

Q7: If I’m a renewal, do I need to bring supporting documents to the interview?

• Yes, if you have already had a U.S. visa you are still required to bring documents to support your ties outside the U.S. and to show your purpose of travel and financial solvency. You are also encouraged to bring your previous passports and visas.

Q8: How long will it take for my visa to be processed?

• Generally the visa is ready the following business day.  It takes at least 24 hours to process a visa, although in some instances it may take longer.

Q9: What do I do if my visa was lost or stolen?

Report the lost or theft of the visa immediately to the U.S. Embassy. If you still need your visa obtain a police report from local authorities to bring to your visa interview.

Q10: Do I have to leave my passport at the U.S. Embassy if my visa is approved?

• Yes, ALL visas are placed in the applicant’s passport.

Q11: How can I find out if my current visa is still valid?

• Visas have an expiration date clearly marked on the visa. After that date, the visa is no longer valid and a new application must be made.

Q12: What do I do if my visa has an error or incorrect information when I receive it?

• Please send us a message with your information and we will contact you about how to correct the visa with no further charge.

Q13: Do minor-age children need to come to the visa interview?

• All children ages 13 and above (beginning with the ones who turn 13 on the day of the appointment) need to be physically present during the interview.

Q14: I am not travelling for several months can I make an appointment now?

• Yes, you can make an appointment if slots are available in the appointment system

Q15: Do I have to provide my plane ticket or an itinerary?

• No, we strongly encourage applicants not to make non-refundable travel plans until your visa is approved.

Q16: If I am visiting Mozambique but I live elsewhere can I apply for a visa?

• If you are not a resident of Mozambique, you are encouraged to apply in your country of residence where it will be easier for you to prove your ties and for the Consular Officer to evaluate your case.

Q17: Where can I obtain information about visa denials? Can I apply again if I was denied?

• Yes, you can apply again if your visa was denied. The State Department's Visa Office offers information about immigration law and visa denials at "Visa Denials."

Q18: What happens when my passport expires but the visa in my passport is still valid? 

• You may travel with two passports: the expired passport with the visa and a new passport.

Q19: My family is applying together. Will they interview us as a family or individually?

• It will be at the consular officer’s discretion whether to conduct family or individual interviews.  Please note that each family member applying for a visa requires an appointment.

Q20: Can I renew my visa before it expires or do I have to wait until after its expiration date?

• Yes, you can apply for a new visa before your previous visa expires.  Please note that the previous visa will be cancelled as part of the process of issuing a new visa.

Q21: I qualify for the Visa Waiver Program because I have a European, Japanese, Australian, etc., passport. How do I comply with the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)?

• You must register with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) program.  ESTA is a fully automated, electronic system for screening passengers before they begin travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program.

Go to the ESTA website

Q22: What do I need to bring if I’m going for medical treatment in United States?

• You must provide a letter from a doctor in the U.S. authorizing treatment and specifying all costs of the medical care as well as proof of your ability to pay for all medical care.

Q23: I live in the United States and I want to help my friend or relative get a visa to visit me.  What can I do to help them?

• Individual applicants must qualify for the visa based on their own qualifications and not the qualifications of a friend or family member. Unless a citizen or resident of the United States is supporting a petition-based work visa application, or an immigrant visa petition, we recommend that you do not try and assist.

Q24: How can I find more information about obtaining a visa for the United States (for tourism, business, study, work, etc.)?

• For information on all types of visa applications visit the website of the U.S. Department of State.

Q25: Is there any way to obtain a visa for my U.S. citizen child?

• No.  U.S. citizens by law cannot be issued visas and must enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport.  If you believe your child is a U.S. citizen, please write to us to request additional information.

Q26: Where can I turn in my I-94 card that was given to me when I last entered the United States?

• If you left the United States with your Form I-94 still in your possession, your departure was not recorded properly.  If you do not correct this record or if you cannot reasonably prove that you departed in a timely way when you next apply for admission to the United States, BCIS may conclude you remained in the United States beyond your authorized stay. If this happens, you may be returned immediately to your foreign point of origin. If you failed to turn in your I-94, please send it along with any documentation that proves you left the U.S. to:

ACS Inc.
1084 South Laurel Rd.
London, Kentucky 40744

Documentation to prove your departure can include the boarding pass from your flight. If you exited the country by a land border it is much harder to verify that you left the country on the date you claim. If you have any documentation of your arrival in your home country (i.e. passport stamp), you should send a copy of it. If the above office does not have any supporting documents to substantiate your claim to have left the U.S. on a certain date, there is no guarantee that you will be entered into the record as having done so. We strongly urge you to keep a copy of what you send to ACS Inc. and to carry it with you the next time you come to the U.S. in case the CBP officer has any questions about your eligibility to enter.

Please click on the following to read detailed information from the CBP website