How to Apply for a Visa
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE CONTINUING.
1. All applicants must complete online application form DS-160.
All information must be completed in English.
2. Make an appointment for an interview as soon as you know you will travel via the on-line appointment system. Click here to access the on-line appointment system.
If you would like your family to travel to the U.S. with you, or if a group of applicants are travelling on the same program, apply for your visas at the same time. If appointments slots are not available for the entire family or group You simply need to send us an email to consularmaputo.@state.gov with the names of other group members. The Title of the e-mail should be " group appointment''
* * * Make only one appointment per person. Additional appointments for the same person, even on different dates, will be automatically canceled.* * *
Click here to view the wait time for a visa.
Click here if you need to make an appointment for emergency travel.
3. Verify your passport will be valid for at least six months past the date you intend to enter the U.S.
4. The MRV fee for tourist, business and student/exchange visitor visas of currently 160 U.S. dollars or the equivalent in meticais. This amount is paid on the day of the interview.
The MRV fee may be paid only in cash. If you are requesting a visa different from the ones listed above, please contact the Consular Section to verify the MRV fee amount. If you do not have the MRV fee at the time of your interview you will have to schedule a new appointment through the online system.
Please note the MRV fee is non-refundable even if your visa application is denied.
Nationals of some countries will have to pay an additional visa issuance fee based on fees their governments charge U.S. citizens applying for similar visas. There is no reciprocal issuance fee for Mozambican citizens. This fee is only applicable if the visa application is approved. It can be paid at the Consulate in cash (U.S. dollars or meticais). More information can be found by clicking here.
Documentation Needed at the Time of Interview
1. Confirmation of completion of DS-160 application from
2. A valid passport valid for at least 6 months past your intended date of travel and with at least two blank pages.
3. Appointment confirmation page:
4. Information regarding your financial solvency and ties to your country of residence. This may include documents regarding your current employment, tax statements, ownership of property, etc.
5. Information regarding the purpose of your trip or additional information that is relevant to your application.
What Type of Visa Do I Need?
Visa Waiver Program. U.S. visa policy permits citizens of certain countries to travel to the U.S. without a visa for less than 90 days for purposes of tourism or business.
Applying for a work visa once a petition has been approved.
No guarantees regarding your visa application can be made prior to the interview, and applicants are encouraged not to make non-refundable travel arrangements until the visa has been approved. Applicants will be told at the interview if the visa application has been approved. If an application for a visa has been approved the visa and passport usually will be returned at the Consulate on the following workday. If the application is subject to additional administrative processing or if additional information is required, the applicant will be informed at the interview.
Please note the Consulate does not accept supplemental documentation for your visa application in advance of the interview. All documentation must be brought to the interview. Please bring all documentation you wish to be considered in your application to your interview. You cannot provide information at a later date.
Visa interviews are usually brief. However, the time an applicant waits before their interview depends on how many people are applying for visas that day. Please allow 1 to 3 hours for the entire application process. Applicants are interviewed in the order they submit their completed application.
If you have already reviewed the frequently asked questions and still need more information you may reach consular staff firstname.lastname@example.org